Puddle Jump Through Life With Us - Living... Loving... Growing... washed in the love of Christ

Puddle Jump Through Life With Us - Living... Loving... Growing... washed in the love of Christ

Become a Fan on Facebook

Twitter Followers

Flowing River of Blessings


It's time for a good book

Monday, June 13, 2011

Strike It Rich With Pocket Change Book Review


You scrimp. You save. You do your best to pinch every penny that comes into your possession - not because you're a mean 'ole mizer, but because it's trying economic times. In your effort to make every penny count, have you unknowingly handed of $10, $50, $100 or even $1,000 to pay for an item that should have cost you $1.00? You probably scream in response: "No way! I would never do that!" But, it does happen. The authors of the book Strike It Rich With Pocket Change Error Coins Bring Big Money, tell how.

Homeschoolers often operate under a one-income family simply because one of the parents need to be the primary educator, the other the bread winner. Of course, there is a variety of ways this is carried out. Some families even split shifts so they can pay the bills with both parents working at different hours of the day. Others operate home-based businesses. But, most are well aware of the price of living and educating children at home. So, saving money is a top priority.

I was privileged to review the book, from Ken Potter and Dr. Brian Allen, supplied to me from Booksneeze.com. And, I'm glad I got the chance because now I will be looking even closer at my pocket change. Oh, sure! I have jars and containers where I stash away coins of interest to me. I even have a bank who automatically rounds up my debit expenditures and deposits the spare change into my savings account. It all adds up, and the unique coins are of sentimental value. But, I am more quick to want to spend a dollar that looks funny than I am to consider: Maybe it looks funny because it's a misprint worth much more than face value.

This book has detailed descriptions, complete with pictures, that show common and uncommon errors that occur in coins making them more valuable than you think. Of course, it can't possibly show every single possible error, but in its more than 300 pages, it covers a lot of possibilities. Have you ever seen a penny printed in reverse, or a nickle printed on top of the picture that should appear on a dime? The book doesn't just cover coins. It covers paper currency as well.

You read the book, you look through your change; and, you are fortunate enough to find a mistake worth more than the coin itself. Now what? The book also explains what to do with your change: who buys them and how to sell them for what they are worth.

It's not a book that's easy to read cover to cover, simply because it's not a story but more of a reference. I would recommend this book as a great reference to place on every American's shelf. After even thumbing through the book, you won't look at pocket change the same. You'll find yourself examining every coin.

No comments:

Post a Comment