Puddle Jump Through Life With Us - Living... Loving... Growing... washed in the love of Christ

Puddle Jump Through Life With Us - Living... Loving... Growing... washed in the love of Christ

Become a Fan on Facebook

Twitter Followers

Flowing River of Blessings


It's time for a good book

Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Before There Was Success - There Were These Epic Fails





Are you afraid to fail?

I have a couple children who want to get everything perfect at their first attempt. One child, who shall remain nameless, completely falls apart and melts into a puddle of tears when she "fails" at her first attempt. She will take no encouragement or consoling. She just becomes consumed in frustration until she tries again only to usually succeed well.

This process of intense struggle is something that is foreign to me. For some unknown reason -

I am not afraid to fail!

To me, it is simply part of the process of learning. You jump in with both feet, hands fully engaged on a new adventure, and when it doesn't turn out as you had hoped - You try again. Eventually, you will gain success!

OR

Worst case scenario - Learning takes place. Like Edison is said to have quoted:

I have not failed. I have merely found 10,000 ways that won't work!

Well, recently the New York Times posted a brilliant article depicting the history of some very big epic fails:

New York Times A Brief History of Failure

I love the one about the typewriter keyboard. At my peak, I was timed at typing 120 wpm. This is almost as fast as my boss could dictate.

The article does an excellent job of displaying a learning process that, in many cases, eventually ended in success with a modified version of the invention that failed.





No comments:

Post a Comment