Puddle Jump Through Life With Us - Living... Loving... Growing... washed in the love of Christ

Puddle Jump Through Life With Us - Living... Loving... Growing... washed in the love of Christ

Become a Fan on Facebook

Twitter Followers

Flowing River of Blessings


It's time for a good book

Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Why I Refuse To Play Your Facebook Cancer Awareness Game

If you haven't seen this yet, it's just a matter of time. That is, unless you're wiser and a bit more sly than I am and don't like or comment on your friends' posts.

Here is how the game is played:

A friend posts an outlandish statement on Facebook.

Being the good, interacting and supportive friend that you are, you like or comment.

To which you receive an email through messenger that looks something like this:

I'm sorry! You shouldn't have commented or liked my last status. Ha, ha, ha! Now you have to pick from one of the below and post it as your status. This is the 2016 Breast Cancer Awareness game. Don't be a spoiled sport. Pick your poison from one of these and post it as your status. 1. Just found a squirrel in my car! 2. Just used my kids to get out of a speeding ticket. 3. How do you get rid of foot fungus? 4. All of my bras are missing! 5. I think I just accepted a marriage proposal online?! 6. I've decided to stop wearing underwear. 7. It's confirmed I'm going to be a mommy/daddy. 8. Just won a chance audition on America's got talent! 9. I've been accepted on master chef. 10. I'm getting a pet monkey! Post with no explanations. Sorry, I fell for it too. Looking forward to your post. And please don't ruin it. (Don't let the secret out). And remember it's all for the 2016 Breast Cancer Awareness!!

So, ugh! I fell for this one too many times.

You see it as a game - A good cause - to raise awareness and have some fun!

And, by the way - Now you have a heads up as to which posts you should ignore if you don't want to play the game either!

I see it differently!

First of all, I fail to see how fooling someone into playing a game raises any kind of awareness for a disease everyone is far too well aware of.

Second, it is not even raising money for the effort of solving the problem, or better yet, setting up a way to help those who suffer from the disease.

It is merely a stupid game!

Worse - To me - It messes with my trust!

See, when I see your posts on Facebook and I take the time to comment or like them, it means more to me than it must to you. It is my introverted effort of reaching out to you and keeping in touch with you and showing empathy and maintaining a relationship albeit online.

When you take this extended hand of friendship and throw it in my face with a laugh and a game, it does not only fail to raise awareness of breast cancer, but it sends up another notch in my heart that says - I've been made a fool of! I will not trust you again.

Too harsh!  Too sensitive?

Maybe so. I will not refuse to admit that I am sensitive by nature. I am a deep thinker, and I have a lot of empathy for others. Is it too much to ask that you don't take that trust and toss it back into my lap in a mocking manner all in the name of a "good" cause?

I will not play! Until your game does more to create real awareness, or better yet, to stop or ease the pain of this disease - I refuse to play your Facebook Cancer Awareness Game.

4 comments:

  1. I agree with all you wrote. To me, also, it is a trust issue...honesty. I feel that in reaching out to connect to someone who I thought could use a response, I got "tricked". It is why I hate April 1. I am gullible. I trust. But now I don't respond much anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Article it its really informative and innovative keep us posted with new updates. its was really valuable. thanks a lot.
    buy facebook photo likes

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful article, thanks for putting this together! This is obviously one great post. Thanks for the valuable information and insights you have so provided here. motu patlu

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love what you're doing here guys, keep it up!..
    Wormax.io game

    ReplyDelete