Puddle Jump Through Life With Us - Living... Loving... Growing... washed in the love of Christ

Puddle Jump Through Life With Us - Living... Loving... Growing... washed in the love of Christ

Become a Fan on Facebook

Twitter Followers

Flowing River of Blessings


It's time for a good book

Sunday, May 20, 2012

What I Learned From Having Kids

Twelve years ago when I was expecting my first child, people gave me tons of advice.  I would kindly acknowledge their words of wisdom always feeling a bit proud of my experience with children.  I had, after all, already entertained several neices and nephews and worked in the nursery at church and taught Sunday School and volunteered for toddler care during VBS and I worked at an Academy for Children and took Child Development and studied Child Psychology in College.  What more did I need to know?

Little did I know, there were tons of unchartered waters.

Today, however, my lack of knowledge came once again to the forefront of conversation when my 5 year old asked why they call it a "Living Room".

Hmmm.  I guess I never thought about why.  But, then, this is the point - I never thought about a lot of things like this.  It took having children before I realized how little I really did know about the world around me.

My children have taught me that:  "I really was a content person questioning very little and accepting much at face value."  It wasn't until I had children that I realized this.

And, why is it called a living room?  I guess because it is the room where we supposedly spend a lot of "living" time.  I don't know, do you?

There are countless other questions my children have brought up about things that I never raised an eyebrow about until they pointed it out.  Yet, my mommy brain has caused most of them to temporarily slip from my memory.

But, here are a few I can recall:

"Why are the colors on a stop light in the order they are?  And, why does yellow mean caution?  Who determined that green should mean go and red stop?

Why do the bathroom stall walls and doors not go all the way to the ground if they're not meant to crawl under?

What does "catywompus" really mean?

Why do "mommy minutes" always take so long?


1 comment:

  1. A great post. I use catawampus all the time, so my kids finally asked me why I made up such a funny word. I showed it to them in the dictionary. But now they ask me even more things, most of which I do not know.

    And it doesn't help that my father plants seeds to see me squirm, recently telling my kids, "Why do you park on a driveway and drive on a parkway?"

    :-)

    ReplyDelete