Puddle Jump Through Life With Us - Living... Loving... Growing... washed in the love of Christ

Puddle Jump Through Life With Us - Living... Loving... Growing... washed in the love of Christ

Become a Fan on Facebook

Twitter Followers

Flowing River of Blessings


It's time for a good book

Friday, April 4, 2014

Fitness Friday: Jogging, Running v. Walking



Are you a runner?  Perhaps you jog?  Or, is walking more your speed?  Stop beating yourself up when you see all of your friends signing up for that half marathon, or you see that marathon bumper sticker on someone's car.  Perhaps, walking is just as good - If not better - For your overall fitness.  At least, that's what I hope.

Jogging, running, anything at super fast speed is really not me. As a kid, when I would run around the track, my side would hurt.  I'm still not sure what's up with that. I'm not sure if the side aches stopped as I grew or I juts no longer experience the pains when I run - Well, because I never run anymore unless it's to chase after a child who has found him or herself in danger.

I prefer walking.  Yes, walking is my favorite exercise. But, is it as good as jogging?

According to one article, from the University of Rochester Medical Center, both have their benefits and their issues of concern. Summing it up, jogging or running seems to be better at fat burning, while walking is a great low-impact overall fitness activity that causes less overall injury.

I didn't want to settle for just one study's word for it, so I looked further into the question and found fitness expert Jenny Sugar suggests that jogging or running provides a better aerobic exercise. However, a brisk walk can be just as good.

One last source I discovered was from an article in the Huffington Post that bottom lined the question to say that running isn't for everyone and that running burns more calories, but walking has plenty of benefits as well. It continues with a really nice slideshow about the health benefits of walking that's worth a look.



My conclusion:

I'm still not a runner, though I am impressed with those who have the stamina and dedication. Even though it is at a slower pace, I will continue to love my preferred mode of walking over running.

Which one do you prefer?

See what other Fitness Friday bloggers have to say about staying fit and eating healthy:


.



 photo FitnessFriday_zps15d519f6.jpg



Find more fitness motivation at the following bloggers that are hosting Fitness Friday:

The Healthy Moms.net
Chandra Sullivan at Spark Your Motivation
Danielle Nabozny at Lip Gloss and Yoga Pants
Lisa Belanger at Inspire Me Well
Maryann Mitchell at It's Not Food, It's Me
Angela Barnets at Fit Personified
Wendi Barker at Wendi's Book Corner
Lacey Baker at Love Lacey 365
Follow my blog with Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment