Puddle Jump Through Life With Us - Living... Loving... Growing... washed in the love of Christ

Puddle Jump Through Life With Us - Living... Loving... Growing... washed in the love of Christ

Become a Fan on Facebook

Twitter Followers

Flowing River of Blessings


It's time for a good book

Friday, August 1, 2014

TOS Review: 3P Learning Mathletics

Mathletics Online Math Review
Mathletics Online Math Review
I knew my soon-to-be 9th Grade son would be excited to find out that we had the opportunity to review Mathletics from 3P Learning, but I was thrilled to discover that my 2nd Grade daughter was offered the opportunity as well. The program provides curriculum that is intended to be used as a supplement for Grades K-12.

Mathletics Online Math ReviewI received, for review, a full year subscription for two students (a value of $179), though the price is currently on a discounted price of $59 per student. I don't know how long this offer will last. Try it out yourself before you decide.


This is an online program, but there are also printable workbooks available in the parent log-in section. I was asked to use it at least three to four times a week during the course of the review. My lucky two children chosen for the review were my oldest son (entering 9th Grade this fall) and my youngest daughter (basically a 2nd Grader but doing some 3rd grade work - It's complicated).



When your child first logs on, he or she has the option of setting up how they want their page to appear, and then they design their personal profile icon. You can choose to make the picture look like your child, or choose hair color, etc. that looks nothing like your child. Your choice. Regardless, it's a fun step in the setup process.

  
  




Once you're logged on, the student has the option of choosing activities. Within the activities, the students earn medals which are basically just a fun way to visually see where their strengths lie and where they need more work. However, it also seems to do something great to inspire learning when there's a slight competitive edge to it.






One of my favorite online aspects was the option to compete live with other students from around the world. There are different levels of competing, but I found that even at the lower level, it was really beneficial to reinforce basic addition skills. It was really fun to see the scores flash at the end when a high score was achieved, and if you enter a wrong answer during the competition, you know it right away because of a buzzer sound.


      


These online gaming style of learning sites are great for younger pre-school and elementary kids, and even into middle school, but I rarely see them go as high as the high school level. So, I was happy to see that the learning went up into geometry and algebra level that is a perfect fit for my early high schooler.



 

It also provides fun graphics that make you forget you're learning.





For my younger student, there were:
  • Skill appropriate drills
  • Timed Real world challenges
  • Problem Solving math skill-related games
  • Term searches complete with an online dictionary and concept search
  • Rain forest themed math on-screen activities
  • Times table music videos



For my older student, there were:
  • Skill appropriate drill activities
  • eBooks
  • Interactives
  • Live Mathletics
  • Videos
  • Problem Solving
  • Rainforest theme on-screen activities
  • Dictionary and mathematical terms search
  • Times table music videos


For my teacher/parent log-in, there were:

  • Ability to view progress
  • Ability to assign special tasks
  • Teacher guide and preview screens
  • Dictionary of mathematical terms
  • Video walk-through instructions for specific areas of learning
  • Printable workbooks with teacher guides

HOW WE USED IT/WHAT WE THOUGHT

I have three children, but I had to choose two of them. So, I decided I wanted to get a wide range of what the program offers by choosing to use it with my 2nd Grader and my soon-to-be high schooler (9th grade).

WHAT I DISCOVERED WAS THAT 3P LEARNING MATHLETICS IS A LEARNING TREAT! IT TURNS MATH TIME INTO A TIME WHERE IT'S EASY TO FORGET YOU ARE LEARNING. WHILE IT'S A SOLID CURRICULUM SUPPLEMENT PACKED WITH LEARNING - YOU'LL FEEL MORE LIKE IT'S A REWARD!

Even though this is primarily intended to be used as an online learning site, one of my favorite aspects of the teacher log-in were the instant workbooks that I could print and use. I printed out some of the workbook pages for both levels, elementary 2nd grade and geometry level. I loved the option to use the traditional workbook style learning alongside the more fun and interactive online gaming style of learning.

Find 3P Learning Mathletics on Facebook and Twitter.


Click to read Crew Reviews

Crew Disclaimer

No comments:

Post a Comment