Puddle Jump Through Life With Us - Living... Loving... Growing... washed in the love of Christ

Puddle Jump Through Life With Us - Living... Loving... Growing... washed in the love of Christ

Become a Fan on Facebook

Twitter Followers

Flowing River of Blessings


It's time for a good book

Saturday, May 28, 2011

When To Correct The Cute Way A Kid Says Things

When I was a parent for the first time to my son, I learned that it was best to correct improper speech patterns or mispronounciations by simply repeating what the child said correctly. No reprimand or put down verbally, just a simple validation of what was said, only this time said properly for the child to hear. And, I did this with my first born. I even managed to get a chance to do it with my 2nd. But, when my 3rd came along I find myself wanting to hang onto the cute little mishaps of speech.

Today, for instance, my 4 year old told me, "Mommy, do you know how I can do this puzzle so well? It's because I MEMBER-IZE where the pieces go!" Hah! I thought it was cute. Even cuter in my opinion is how she refers to a question mark as a CHICKEN MARK! These are just things I'm not ready to correct. Far too soon she will pick up on proper speech. For now, I enjoy these little childhood mis-speaks in that cute little girl voice that will also grow up and change.

Yes, there are words or phrases I will correct by repeating it in the proper form. But, there are some I'm just gonna hang onto for awhile because they make me smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment