Puddle Jump Through Life With Us - Living... Loving... Growing... washed in the love of Christ

Puddle Jump Through Life With Us - Living... Loving... Growing... washed in the love of Christ

Become a Fan on Facebook

Twitter Followers

Flowing River of Blessings


It's time for a good book

Thursday, May 3, 2012

Winding Down the School Year for Homeschoolers and Learning to Read

Some homeschoolers school year round and that's o.k.  Maybe it's the public school or private college background in me or maybe it's just the fact that I thrive on closure and checking off a "to-do" list, but I like to stick to the seasonal start and stop times of each school year.  We begin in September and end sometime before June (sometimes the kids are completely done with their curriculum by the end of April).  Whatever works for you, as long as you are within the requirements of your state, is best.  For now, we are winding down our schooling year.

This year, I decided that the day before my oldest son turns 12 would be a good birthday present to him.  So, we have a few more days to go filling in now with unschooling, living books and other material style of learning.  For this, my kids love visiting the library and selecting their own books and DVDs.

The only curriculum left unfinished is the one I chose to do with my pre-kindergartner.  She was showing signs that it was her prime time to learn how to read.  So, I began a book I used with my son for about 4 lessons before completely giving up and then never even started with my 2nd child.  This third child, however, seemed ready and willing to use the book:

Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons


With her, they really were easy.  She excitedly sat next to me on the couch each day eager to read new words.  And, you know what?  She is reading now.  Yesterday, she finished Lesson 100 and now we will begin to read some of the suggested books listed at the end of the reading lesson book.

I love this book, however, my oldest son was far too antsy to enjoy it.  He, instead, took off reading at the age of 3 and has never truly slowed down.  Though, he never has enjoyed sitting and reading a chapter book like one of his sisters does.  Because it was like a 3-ring circus to sit down with my son and follow the 100 Easy Lessons book, I set it aside and couldn't find where I put it when my 2nd child was ready to read.  She learned using other methods, like A Beka's little books and a handbook on reading reprinted from probably over a century ago.  She loves to sit and read anything that interests her.

I love each and every method my children have used to learn how to read.  The important thing is that they learn to read because reading opens up the opportunity to learn anything they desire.

No comments:

Post a Comment