Puddle Jump Through Life With Us - Living... Loving... Growing... washed in the love of Christ

Puddle Jump Through Life With Us - Living... Loving... Growing... washed in the love of Christ

Become a Fan on Facebook

Twitter Followers

Flowing River of Blessings


It's time for a good book

Tuesday, June 11, 2013

My Homeschool Bus Goes to VBS


This week, "My  Homeschool Bus" goes to Vacation Bible School (VBS).

My oldest daughter is attending VBS with a friend this week.  It's bittersweet.  She is going into the 6th grade in the fall, and so that means this is her last official year as a kid at VBS.

My youngest daughter asked to join her.  Of course, she has several years left to attend - being only six years old.

Still, the church is not the church where we attend, but is the church of a friend who invited my daughter.

So, we load up the homeschool bus and head out every morning, early for us, to arrive at the church by 9:00 a.m.

I am happy they get the opportunity to attend a VBS.  When I was a kid, I loved going to VBS.  It's such a fun way to learn about the Bible, though I'm not sure how much I actually learned about the Bible because there are a lot of other fun things going on in the midst of it all:


  • Singing fun songs that I still remember and sing to my kids today.
  • Making fun crafts - One year, I remember making a cross with beadwork.  I still have the cross, but I remember it vividly because I had slammed my finger in the car door and completed this piece of art with a pounding sore finger.
  • Competing with the boys to see who would raise the most in offerings to go to the designated Christian mission.
Sadly, I probably cannot tell you one Bible verse I ever learned in VBS.  But, I do remember the songs which, thankfully, lined up with the Bible lessons.  Some of them were even word for word scripture, like:

"Beloved, let us love one another.  For love is of God and he who loves is born of God.  He who does not love does not know God, for God is love.  Beloved, let us love one another, First John 4:7 & 8, doo doo doo do, little, little, little, doo doo do do, little!"

OK, maybe that one was from church camp, but you get the point.

I hope my girls have fun and are safe at VBS this week.  But, most importantly, I hope they do learn something that sticks that's from God's Word!




No comments:

Post a Comment