Puddle Jump Through Life With Us - Living... Loving... Growing... washed in the love of Christ

Puddle Jump Through Life With Us - Living... Loving... Growing... washed in the love of Christ

Become a Fan on Facebook

Twitter Followers

Flowing River of Blessings


It's time for a good book

Tuesday, July 10, 2018

Homeschool Review Crew Math Refresher for Adults from Math Essentials

Review, #hsreviews, #MathEssentals, #Math, Math skills, general math, pre-algebra, Algebra


I was thrilled to get a chance to review Math Refresher for Adults from Math Essentials.



What is Math Refresher for Adults?

Richard W. Fisher, the winner of Intel Innovations in Teaching Award, has created an amazing workbook aimed specifically at adults who want to refresh their math skills. It is part of the Mastering Essential Math skills Series that addresses:


  • General Math
  • Geometry
  • Problem Solving
  • Pre-Algebra
  • Algebra


I received a glossy paperback 270-page book that contains page after page of math review, separated by topic to make it easy to go directly to what you want to work on. The back pages include an answer key, math vocabulary, a square root chart, multiplication chart, fraction/decimal equivalents, important math symbols, and a prime number chart.

Inside the book is information about how to access the accompanying short tutorial videos that go along with each brief lesson. It even includes information about how to access Algebra-specific tutorial videos that are also included through use of a special access code.



Math Essentials

Math Refresher for Adults
*
If you choose to use the video tutorials, the first thing he mentions is that you will need the book, the videos, two pencils, and paper for figuring math calculations during the video portion of each lesson. So, I gathered my supplies - plus, of course, my cup of coffee which keeps me motivated.
*





The lessons are short and to-the-point. They are easy to understand, and because they are short, even with the accompanying videos, they are not overwhelming. You tackle a little bit at a time as needed or as you want. It includes a detailed table of contents, so if you want to head directly to a specific area of math, it is no problem. You can quickly find what you want to cover in the Table of Contents and head over to that page immediately. The videos are set up in a similar, easy-to-find, manner as well. The back of the book has helpful resource pages and all of the correct answers in the Solutions Guide.
  


























How Did We Use It and What Did I Think?

Believe it or not, when I heard that there was a book specifically designed to help adults refresh their math skills, I was excited! In high school, I made it as far as Algebra II/Trigonometry. I always liked math, but that's still as far as I was able to get before graduation. I have been teaching my children since my son entered Kindergarten in 2005, through use of curriculum and teacher guides, and a little help from Google searches when I would find myself in a bind. The result has been some success and a whole lot of tears when either division or algebra would rear its fearful head. I was ready to refresh my own math skills so it would be fresher in my own head so I could be able to turn around and help my children learn without tears and frustration or waiting for me to figure it out first while they're crying in the corner ready to give up. I wanted to put an end to that math anger fear frustration that has disrupted my homeschool with each child at one point or another.

I opened the book and began at the preface where I found out how to use the book and how to access the video tutorials.  I then got started.

I love how easy this book is to use and that there are short tutorial videos included to access as part of the book. I really like how every lesson is short, concise, and to the point. I loved how I did not need to start at the beginning, even though I did. But, I was also able to jump around as needed.

FIND MATH ESSENTIALS ON SOCIAL MEDIA @:


Read what other members of the Homeschool Review Crew thought by clicking on the picture below:

Math Refresher for Adults {Math Essentials}


Crew Disclaimer

No comments:

Post a Comment